Romantic things to do in Madrid

If you are looking for something a little special to do in Madrid as a couple, away from the crowds where you can enjoy some time alone, look no further. I will share my tips on the most romantic places to go and things to do in Madrid. They are all sure to impress your other half and score you score points in the romance department.

All of these activities are available year round. So, they would also be perfect to celebrate Valentines day, a romantic birthday, anniversary or other special occasion in Madrid.

RELATED article30 Things you must do in Madrid

Romantic things to do in Madrid

The most perfect romantic activities in Madrid

Boating on Retiro park lake

Hiring a boat on the lake in Retiro Park is one of the most iconic things to do in Madrid. Take a walk through the manicured gardens near the Prado, admire the Crystal Palace then find the paths that lead to the lake. Hop in a boat and enjoy the beautiful views.

Row away from any other boats, wrap up warm and have a little alone time to gaze into each other’s eyes.

Romantic Madrid - Retiro boating lake

An afternoon of tea and cake

There are many cute little cafes in Madrid. Salón des Fleurs in Camberi is particularly romantic with a French Parisian style décor and adjoining flower shop. Or head upstairs in the Salvador Bachiller shop just off Gran Via for a secret oasis of calm.

Treat your other half to a quiet afternoon in a cozy corner and indulge in some delicious homemade cakes with tea or coffee.

Rooftop cocktails at sunset

Enjoy the awesome views of Madrid and knock-out cocktails in one of the many rooftop bars. A romantic date is the perfect excuse to order whatever you fancy off the menu and not feel guilty about the price. My favourite swanky rooftop bars to enjoy the sunset from are The Roof at ME Hotel on Plaza Santa Ana and Circulo de Bella Artes.

Find a quiet and romantic spot to sip on cocktails and watch the colours of the sky change as the sunset’s over Madrid.

Romantic Madrid - Sunset cocktails

Cycle through Casa de Campo park

If you enjoy a more active lifestyle hire two bicycles and take a hide through the wonderful parkland in Casa de Campo. Cycle through the trees and enjoy the peace and quiet in the natural surroundings.

Stop for a bite to eat or ice cream at the Lago, where you’ll find a selection of restaurants and a wonderful lake view.

Picnic with a view of the royal palace

The Royal Palace is the most memorable building in Madrid. Little do most people know, is that if you walk down to the wonderful Campo del Moro you can enjoy a fab view up to the Palace from the manicured public gardens.

Pack a bag of Spanish snacks and supplies to surprise your valentine. Lay out a blanket, cuddle up and enjoy a nice bottle of cava or rioja with a romantic view.

Romantic Madrid - Picnic with a view

Sample local tapas dishes

Take a tour of authentic tapas restaurants to sample the local food together. It’s exciting to try different dishes and do like the locals do by bar hopping your way down the street. Cava Baja in La Latina and Calle de Fucar in Las Letras are just two perfect streets to sample drinks and tapas.

Soak up the atmosphere and share wonderful memories as you experience new dishes together.

Old school date at the movies

Ok yes, it’s a bit cheesy and you might feel like a couple of teenagers but what a fun way to do something together, be romantic and get a little bit nostalgic. Madrid has lots of cool cinemas that show the movie in Version Original or VO (so that it isn’t dubbed in Spanish). My favourite is Yelmo Cines Ideal at Plaza de Jacinto Benavente.

Grab a bucket of popcorn to share, find two seats at the back and hold hands the whole way through the film.

Romantic Madrid - movie date

See a passionate flamenco show

Spanish flamenco is a mysterious and seductive art form that is mesmerizing to watch. It originates in Andalucía but there are many professional shows around Madrid. Choose from a dark and seedy authentic style bar or a full-on dinner and dance stage performance. Either one will provide a romantic setting and be a great night out.

Get sept away in the frenzy of guitar playing, dancing and clapping and sneak a cheeky kiss or two in the dark.

Romantic Madrid - Flamenco

I hope some of these ideas have given you inspiration for planning your next romantic activity in Madrid.

Have you spent a Valentines Day in Madrid? Or had a lovely romantic getaway in Madrid? where did you go? Tell us all about in the comments box below ↓↓

Other guides to Madrid by Seeking the Spanish Sun you may enjoy reading…

Madrid’s most lively barrios and where to have a great night out

What to drink in Madrid and how to order like a local

What to eat in Madrid

A weekend in Madrid

* indicates required

24 Comments

1. 20th February 2018 / 3:50 am

Went to Madrid as a solo traveler. Next time i should bring my boyfriend to try these things out. Good tips!

2. 15th February 2018 / 4:04 pm

Boating on Retiro Park Lake sounds pretty romantic for me! I’d love to see the view from the lake. Minus the falling into the water.. hahah.. Is it available at night?

• 15th February 2018 / 7:16 pm

It is very romantic and the views are gorgeous. Haha you definitely don’t want the date ruined by falling in. The boats are only available for hire during the day. They take them off the water just before sunset, which is about 5pm in winter and 8pm in summer.

3. 15th February 2018 / 12:38 am

I’m not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day, either, but this post has some great ideas on how to indulge in a little romance. I love a picnic in Europe with wine and cheese.

• 15th February 2018 / 7:10 pm

Oooh a picnic with wine a cheese sounds perfect. I’m not keen on exchanging expensive presents for Valentines Day but spending quality time with your other half is always lovely.

4. 7th February 2018 / 12:41 pm

Flamenco shows in Spain are amazing! Make sure you go on your next visit 🙂

5. 7th February 2018 / 6:10 am

I’ve been wanting to watch a flamenco show, but missed my chance when we visited Barcelona last year. I will need to keep in mind the next time I’m in Spain. Rooftop cocktail would be amazing too!

6. 6th February 2018 / 5:24 pm

Madrid sounds wonderful and super romantic! I would love to have a picnic with my husband with the gorgeous view of the Palace. And I’d love to take in the passionate Flamenco dance! That’s something that feels extra specific to Spain.

• 7th February 2018 / 12:40 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting Paige! I hope you and your husband get to do all those lovely things.

7. 6th February 2018 / 2:23 pm

Very much appreciated this post as I’ll be meeting my boyfriend in Madrid for valentines after 6 weeks apart! Can’t wait to do some of these!

• 6th February 2018 / 3:31 pm

Ahhh I hope you guys have a lovely romantic time together in Madrid ❤

8. 5th February 2018 / 11:03 pm

I would love to go to Madrid someday! It seems like a romantic city all around and these places look great!

9. 5th February 2018 / 9:54 pm

I went to Madrid last summer and just stayed there for some hours. Would love to go back and take my time enjoying the city and definitely enjoy drinks on a rooftop and check out a flamenco show. Thanks for the tips 😀

• 6th February 2018 / 12:02 am

There is so much to explore in Madrid, I’d recommend staying for at least a few days. The views from the rooftop bars are amazing, you must see.

10. 5th February 2018 / 8:24 pm

Hi Cat, authentic flamenco shows are amazing. It takes so much skill, passion and stamina! I love a nice romantic picnic, that’s what I’m hoping to do for Valentines Day 🙂

11. Cat
    5th February 2018 / 8:00 pm

Love all of these ideas. I’ve always wanted to see a flamenco show in Spain or Argentina. I saw one in London but I just don’t think that’s the same 🙂 the picnic looks amazing too, especially with all that delicious Spanish food!

12. 5th February 2018 / 5:55 pm

What a nice list of romantic things to do in Madrid! The boats on the lake in Retiro Park look really romantic and fun. Good to know there are some botanic gardens around. Seeing the Spanish flamenco also sounds like a great thing to do!

• 5th February 2018 / 8:20 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting Daphne. Retiro Park boating lake is lovely and its so nice to walk around the gardens.