Going into the new year I spent a lot of time thinking about where I still want to travel in Spain and what I can see and explore during 2019. Spain is always amazing me and I am continuously learning about a new place to see or activity to try here. So, naturally I started writing a list of all the places I haven’t yet been to.
When I visit a new city or town in Spain, my trip is not just ticking a place off my travel list. It’s more about the experience. I like to learn about the history and culture while wandering. Plus try new foods, drinks and fun things. So, I decided to divide my list into foods, sights and activities and the most suitable part of Spain to enjoy them. This became my Spain travel experience bucket list and got me very excited for the coming year.
I then started to wonder, what do most people want to see, eat or do in Spain? What would be on most peoples Spain travel experience bucket list? And how can I help people get inspiration to build their own Spain bucket list?
What is a bucket list?
A bucket list is a list of things you’d like to do before you die or “kick the bucket”.
While every bucket list is personal, there are certain iconic sights and dishes that just cannot be missed when you visit Spain. This article will cover what I believe to be the ultimate Spain travel experience bucket list. There are a few obvious experiences here but also a fair amount of lesser-known ones that I’ve found out about while living in Spain.
This bucket list covers the whole country and I wouldn’t expect you to do everything in one trip. It’s the perfect starting point for exploring the wonderful things Spain has to offer. I urge you to read through this list and pick out some things that you would love to do. Then start planning your own amazing travel experiences in Spain for 2019 with your own bucket list.
I have added a handy printable checklist at the end of the article (for those of you who like to tick things off as you go) with space to add your own ideas and dreams for traveling in Spain.
Spain travel experience bucket list
Spain bucket list foods to try
- Churros con chocolate in Madrid
- Espeto sardinas in the Costa del Sol
- Paella in Valencia
- Pintxos in Basque Country
- Crème catalan in Barcelona
- Pulpo in Galicia
- Bocadillo de calamares in Madrid
- Salmorejo in Córdoba
- Sizzling garlic gambas in the Canary Islands
- Roast pork cochinillo in Segovia
- Pisto in La Mancha
- Lobster in the Balearic Islands
- Fabada stew in Asturias
- Jamon iberico in Extremadura
- Papas arrugadas in the Canary Islands
- Manchego cheese in La Mancha
- Pork cheek in Granada
- Fried fish in Seville
- Pan con tomate in Barcelona
- Chorizo in León
- Razor clams in Galicia
*RELATED article: If you’re a food lover read – The most delicious seafood in Spain
Spain bucket list sights to see
- Sagrada Familia in Barcelona
- Pink salt lake in Alicante
- Roman Aqueduct in Segovia
- Alhambra in Granada
- Cliff edge views in Ronda
- Sand dunes in Gran Canaria
- Royal Palace in Madrid
- Whitewashed towns in Andalucía
- Plaza Mayor in Salamanca
- The flower filled streets in Cordoba
- Alcazar in Seville
- La Manga and Mar Menor in Murcia
- Monastery of Monserrat in Barcelona
- River houses in Girona
- Desert landscape in Almeria
- City of Arts and Science in Valencia
- Guggenheim in Bilbao
- Old town of Toledo
- Plaza de Espana in Seville
- Medieval walls in Avilla
- Puerto Banus marina in Marbella
*RELATED article: If you love interesting sights read – 8 surprising sights to see in Spain
Spain bucket list activities
- Snorkel on the Costa Brava
- Drink cocktails in Mallorca
- Take the cable car up Mount Teide in Tenerife
- Surf in Fuerteventura
- Ski in the Sierra Nevada
- Walk the Caminito del Rey in Malaga
- Windsurf in Tarifa
- Take a cooking course in Valencia
- Cycle through the Pyrennes
- Take a hot air balloon ride from Barcelona over Garrotxa volcanic park
- Swim at the unspoiled beaches in Northern Spain
- Hike the Camino de Santiago route
- Wine tasting in La Rioja
- Watch Las Fallas festival in Valencia
- Explore the Prado museum in Madrid
- Party all night in Ibiza
- Sunbathe on the Costa del Sol
- See a football match at the Camp Nou in Barcelona
- Join the Carnival in Gran Canaria
- Watch a flamenco show in Seville
- Visit a bodega in Jerez
*RELATED article: If you’re a beach lover read – The 10 most beautiful beaches in Spain
I hope this ultimate Spain travel experience bucket list has given you some inspiration for a trip to Spain. Or helped add some ideas to your own bucket list 🙂 Don’t forget to save or print the bucket list checklist ↓↓
Are there any experiences in Spain that I’ve missed off this list? What would you add to your Spain bucket list? Leave a comment in the box below and lets discuss all the fabulous things to eat, see or do in Spain.
Here’s a printable PDF version of the Spain Travel Experience Bucket list
If checklists are your thing, sign up to our mailing list for a FREE printable Moving to Spain to-do list or a Spain Holiday packing list.
Other Seeking the Spanish Sun articles you might be interested in…
Tips for first time travel in Spain
Why Spain is great for winter sun
How to save money when visiting Spain
Ways that we can reduce negative tourism
How can you leave the Running Of The Bulls in San Fermin and it’s week long party off your bucket list !?!?!?
Hi Jason, feel free to add Running of the Bulls to your Spain bucket list. I left it off as I’m not really keen on the over-crowded, adrenaline and alcohol fuelled chaos, which usually ends with multiple injuries. You may have noticed that I don’t promote bull fighting on this website either. While I appreciate that this event and bull fighting are local traditions, I’d rather not take part or encourage others to treat animals in this way. https://www.peta2.com/news/running-of-the-bulls-cruel/
Oh my gosh this is a great post! And printable PDFs?!?! Yes. I was thinking of making a Spain bucket list but you’ve covered it all in yours!
That’s so nice of you to say, thank you! Enjoy ticking things off your Spain bucket list 🙂